Pages

Wednesday 4 November 2015

THIS PAST WEEK #16 SOMETHING EVIL'S LURKING IN THE DARK


I hope you all had a spooky Halloween! No matter how you spent it. I spent my Halloween at a ‘Dismayland’ themed club night in Sheffield, dressed at what I decided to call “pollution Ariel”. ‘What the hell is that?!’ you may well ask. It’s something I made up but it consisted of me dressed as a mermaid in a purple vest and a pencil skirt with a cut throat of liquid latex, tissue and fake blood plus accessories made of litter. I had originally planned to wear a shiny scale printed skirt that I’d bought from amazon but it didn’t arrive in time. Note to self: don’t take a risk on delivery between October 20th and November 9th if you need it by October 31st. Luckily my friend, Liz, came to my rescue and let me wear her teal pencil skirt. I also went to a Halloween themed night at the beginning of the week dressed as a zombie. It was a perfect excuse to practice our skills of making fake wounds and skeletal contouring. The picture above shows the finished results.


On Tuesday I went to the Sheffield leg of Steve Backshall’s ‘Wild World’ tour. If you don’t know who Steve is, the easiest way to explain is to say that he is like David Attenborough but more for children. If you’re my age or older you may remember him from CBBC’s ‘Really Wild World’ or you may know him from his more recent TV appearances on ‘Deadly 60’ or ‘Big Blue Live’. In his tour he discussed his recent adventures, talking us through different animals and basically why they’re so amazing. He also showed clips and outtakes from his shows. I only went because my house mate is a fan of Steve Backshall and she asked if I wanted a ticket, but ended up really enjoying it. I was sat in the Crucible theatre surrounded by many of Backshall’s clever young fans, many younger than 12 who probably know more about the ‘wild world’ than I ever will. He ended his talk with a quote by George Mallory that has quickly become one of my favourites:

“People ask me, 'What is the use of climbing Mount Everest?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is of no use. ‘There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behaviour of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron... If you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to live. That is what life means and what life is for.” 

It perfectly summed up his talk and his attitude towards living life one wild adventure at a time. 

Meeting Steve Backshall at the Crucible

On Thursday evening I went to see ‘Spectre’. I am very busy with assignments at the moment so I don’t know if I will have time to write a review so I will sum up my thoughts now. I am a little unsure on my opinion of it, I’m sure I liked it but I don’t know how much. Since everyone seems to be shouting and raving about how amazing it is, enormous budget, step up from Skyfall, Sam Mendes makes the best bond and all that I entered the cinema with high expectations. Because of this I felt a little disappointed. The opening scene was spectacular, Lea Seydoux made a fabulous Bond girl, Christoph Waltz made a sinister villain and Sam Smith’s ‘Writings on the wall’ is a fitting Bond anthem, but for me Skyfall is still the best Bond film. It’s a tough one to beat.

I hope you’re having a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment