Pages

Sunday 20 March 2016

3 TRAILER TROPES I HATE


A trailer is the first glimpse in to a new release. It’s an opportunity for a studio to advertise the plot, tone and cast of a film. Often, this is the moment an audience first decides whether they are going to be heading to the cinema or not. Call me sad if you will but I like a good trailer, something that is well put together with fitting music and tells me what to expect in the feature is going to get my interest. That said, there are three things that I find especially grating in these two minute glimpses in to future releases:

Trailer Man Voice
You know the one, the overly excited voice that patronisingly explains the plot of a film. We don’t hear of him as much these days, Hooray!

They’re in it. That is all.
Star power is an obvious angle for marketing, the Tom Hanks’, Leonardo Dicaprio’s and Jennifer Lawrence’s of the world have a certain box office pull for sure but stop making trailers that just remind me how great they are. A film is so much more than its cast and a trailer should be too.

Here’s the whole movie
And finally, this annoys me so much. Why do studios shoot themselves in the foot by showing the whole plot of a film in its promotional material? From first, second and third trailers, teasers, featurettes and the release of ‘first ten minutes’ in some cases, do studios forget they are trying to get ticket money out of the audience? The worst part, there are so many offenders.


Nerd rant over. Happy Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment