Pages

Sunday 13 March 2016

THIS PAST MONTH: FEBRUARY 2016

2016 has had a serious lack of ‘This Past Week’ posts. You know the ones, a quick rundown of my week that goes up on a Sunday. But let’s face it, towards the end of last year I was doing well if I got the post up by Wednesday. Towards the end of January I decided that I did not want to continue my Sunday summary style posts. The reason being that I really struggle to write them, at first I loved it but as I wrote more, the enjoyment was dwindling. More often than not, my week doesn’t contain all that many things to write about. There are only so many posts I can write about nights out and roast dinner cravings.  I also want my blog to have more of a film and media focus and when I restrict myself to writing a personal post every week I don’t have as much time as I’d like to write film related content. Instead of posting about what I’ve been up to at the end of every week I’ve decided to write a post at the end of every month running through the important stuff from the last 30/31 days. So here we go, starting a new series of monthly posts. I hope you enjoy.


February was the month that University properly started again, it might officially start in mid-January but it’s in February when the module introductions stop and you remember that you actually have to do some work at University. One of the biggest things I am working on is an ongoing placement search. Next year I will be leaving the safety of campus for a year in industry and I never anticipated the search would be so hard. It’s well known that finding a job is a job within itself and the same should be said about looking for placements. The idea of having a year out of university to get industry experience is very exciting and I can’t wait until I have it sorted. I know a few people who have given up on finding a placement after small amounts of searching but I will not give up. It’s tough and stressful now but I’m determined to find the placements to fill the sandwich year of my degree.


At the beginning of February something quite crazy happened. While out recording vox pops for a TV News module my friend and I were approached by a lady who asked us what we were filming. We explained that we were media students and we were filming for our coursework, she then asked if we would like to come to her choir group to film for them. The next week we filmed the singing and over the course of the rest of the month, edited together the footage to create a promotional video package. From this I unveil ‘BG Productions’, a company name that we have created, with which we will be doing freelance video production.

What does BG stand for you may ask… it comes from my second name which is Blair and the G to my B is my friend Lucy Gilbert who I mention on here all the time. You can also read her blog here. On the very last day of February we filmed a band in Leeds, a particularly gruelling 12 hour studio shoot but the end product is going to be great. As you can imagine we are both very excited about the prospect of having our own small production company, we’re currently working on an online portfolio which will be found here.


Finally, I have loved how much good TV there is at the moment. The early months of the year are the perfect time to binge on much loved shows or try something new. Not only have TV shows come back for new seasons or after mid-season breaks (Suits, Girls, New Girl) but I have found new additions to my watch list. Over a weekend I caught up on the first season of BBC’s Happy Valley, it’s some seriously gripping stuff and I really need to watch more of series two.


What was a highlight of your February?


No comments:

Post a Comment