Pages

Thursday 8 March 2018

International Women’s Day 2018: Recent Reads and Recommendations


Maybe you’ve been avoiding social media, televisions and the overall population since January 1st but 2018 is the Year of the Woman, i.e. the one-year anniversary of women over 30 getting the vote in the UK. Apparently, this month is also women’s history so it stands to reason that International Women’s Day 2018 is a big one, and I’m here for it. Still in need of some inspiration? Well it’s the perfect time to pick up a book or two from some first-class females. I’ve specifically chosen those that I’ve read recently, one of which I’ve only just started but know it’s a perfect fit for this mini list.  

Moxie – Jennifer Mathieu 
'Moxie girls fight back!' You may have heard of Moxie because it was featured in an incarnation of Zoella’s book club last year. Please don’t let that put you off, this story of a 16-year-old taking on her sexist-dress-code-pushing and football-player-worshipping Texas high school is possibly the most inspiring feminist book I’ve read. The characters are so developed and the issues are explored in a mature and sensitive way so that’s it’s an addictive read for all ages.  

Eat Sweat Play: How Sport Can Change Our Lives – Anna Kessel 
I added Eat Sweat Play to my Christmas list for some much-needed half-marathon training, turns out it was a lot more than inspiration for my lazy self. In fact, this book is a breakdown of sexism in sport and the media.  No, I have no aspirations of being a professional athlete or sportswoman but what this book did so insightfully was break down taboo's that are prevalent all over society. It is consistently thought provoking and as I consider it my first feminist non-fiction read, it has opened the door to a desire to read so many more.  


The Power – Naomi Alderman 
This is the book that I’ve only just started, in fact I’ll admit that I’m only 70 pages through. If you liked the Handmaid’s Tale (book or amazing TV show) you will love The Power’s way of exploring gender relations through a dystopian setting. As part of our first ever ‘book club’ myself and my housemates are all trying to get through this book before the end of March, why not get a copy and read along with us? 

Want to know what's next on my reading list? Follow me on Goodreads! 




No comments:

Post a Comment