Pages

Friday 14 August 2015

#YOULOOKDISGUSTING, TRUST ISSUES, IN DEFENSE OF MAKE-UP



Just over a month ago now, Youtuber Em Ford of channel, ‘My Pale Skin’ posted a video titled ‘You Look Disgusting’. To date it’s racked up over 14 million views so I’m sure most of you have already seen it. If not, the video basically features Em on camera completely bare faced, bravely showing the world her acne. She explains how she recently started posting pictures of herself without make-up, in before and after images to show her make-up skills in covering imperfections and creating various looks. In these images her skin was laid bare open to comments, and boy did people comment. The video features only a handful of comments that Em has received on her skin both before and after make-up. It prompts a discussion about acne, unrealistic beauty expectations for men and women and the darker side of social media. In its simplicity, the message of the video comes across loud and clear.

While this video was uploaded on July 2nd and it is now the 14th of August, last night I found myself watching it again and it got me to thinking about this post. As someone who has suffered with her skin for as long as I can remember, I really admire people who are so open to posting make-up free pictures/videos of themselves on bad skin days online.  Re-watching this video reminded me of a video I’d seen from Buzz Feed, it was a video of a woman describing why make-up is empowering. In it she describes how she gets confidence from make-up as it covers up her acne break outs and no longer feels self-conscious when she wears make-up. When I watch it I completely agree with everything she says, she so eloquently describes her relationship with make-up in a way that makes complete sense to me.You can watch this video below:


One of my favourite moments in ‘You Look Disgusting’ is when it features the comment ‘this is why I have trust issues’. Want to annoy me? Say that make-up gives you trust issues. Comments like this have become a bit of meme that appears on social media, often including before and after pictures of make-up wearing women. The Buzzfeed video so brilliantly tells of why make up is such a powerful tool and not once does it say that make up allows women to lie about the way they look. Obviously the whole point of products like concealer and foundation is to cover up ‘imperfections’ but it is my right to do so if that’s what makes me feel better when my skin becomes my biggest insecurity.

Acne is not just a teenage problem, I turn 20 in just over a week and a recent flare up of my acne led me to the doctors to request anti-biotic tablets to finally nip it in the bud. The effectiveness of which is still under question. Because of this, the process of covering up spots with concealer and foundation is something I’m used to. Never when I’m blending Mac’s studio finish over a pesky pimple do I laugh to myself about all the people I will trick today in to thinking that I have perfect skin. I am not saying that make-up doesn’t change your appearance and seeing some people without their usual layer of cosmetics can be a shock - that is no excuse to shame someone for using beauty products to enhance their natural appearance. Seriously, if you think I popped out of the womb with black winged liner, trust isn’t your main issue my friend. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment