Pages

Thursday 7 July 2016

THIS PAST MONTH: JUNE 2016


Goodbye student house, you won’t be missed. That’s right; the time finally came for me to leave the house I lived in throughout my second year of university. Let’s take a trip back to the 12th of July 2015, or more specifically a post titled “This Past Week #2 Mojitos Please”. In this post I said “I already love my new house”, well it’s safe to say that the novelty wore off as I couldn’t wait to see the back of the house I once loved. I could talk for hours about how much some landlords take advantage of students and how much my housemates and I were dissatisfied with our house for multiple reasons  but I will spare you. Although, to look to the positives for the first half of the year I was very happy living where I was, there was definitely issues but I knew I was more suited to living in a student house than in halls of residence. Even if it did mean that I couldn’t leave home at 8:55 and be in a lecture at 9:00. However by the end of the year I was completely sick of feeling like I was being ripped off, messed about by the letting agents and more than ready to move. At least the only way is up for my next student house. If you want to read my advice on student house-hunting, you can read a post here.

At the beginning of the month I went back to Sheffield for my first placement, a short placement at a Sheffield theatre producing a promotional video. I really enjoyed my time working with the theatre, the people I worked with were really lovely and I love working with video. Although, working on a video project solo was quite intimidating. I have only ever worked on video projects with a group or with Lucy and it’s actually a big task to do everything alone. It was a strange moment when people much older or experienced were asking me for direction. I really enjoyed the process of editing the footage; the aim for the finished product was something completely new to me so I learnt a lot of new editing techniques.

Working on a video project for a community theatre
I was living in my student house without the usual seven housemates and it was strange at times. It mostly meant that I was doubly cautious about locking everything at night and could lie on the sofa all day without judgement but it proved lonely at times. Spending so much time on my own was something I hadn’t given much thought to. Since I was little I have always been able to entertain myself and I wasn’t worried about the time I’d have around working around my placement. Although I had not anticipated that I would have SO MUCH free time. Because I was working on my own project I only needed to be at the theatre once or twice a week, often for just a few hours each time. That meant a lot of time to fill on my own. I read somewhere once that you should know how to spend time alone otherwise you will never know if you seek company out of choice or out of loneliness. (Hey, pinterest can be very wise.) Having no choice but to go it alone seems to be a part of growing up. I was basically living on my own with only one or two friends close by, I could either sit inside waiting for them to be free and maxing out my amazon prime free trial or get out and mingle with civilisation. There was something strangely wonderful about wandering around a city I’ve lived in for two years but out of term time and knowing nobody. And of course it made the time spent with friends even better. I met up with friends to have the last student night out for a while (*sobs*) before we all move away to do grown up stuff. I also visited my friend Kate in York for a much needed catch-up after not seeing her for almost a year. In my last couple of weeks living in Sheffield one of my housemates was back at the house and it was really nice to spend time with her and not feel so alone in the house.

Pancakes at 'Brew and Brownie' in York
My TV show of the month was definitely Outlander. My love for this show is no secret but I’d fallen drastically behind on it after I found the first episode of the second season very confusing. However I am so happy I could catch up because this season may even be better than the first. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if you haven’t already, go watch Outlander. I have also loved reading recently, after being in a Bronze-Horseman-induced reading slump (would not recommend) I managed to love reading again, look out for the long overdue ‘Recent Reads #2’ coming very soon.

That’s about it for my June, have a great July!

No comments:

Post a Comment