Pages

Monday 18 July 2016

RECENT READS #2


Ugly Love
Colleen Hoover

Ugly Love is a ‘New Adult’ novel that follows Tate after she moves to San Francisco and meets her neighbour, Miles Archer. Before I read this I was in a long reading slump, I hadn’t finished a book for months and anything that I read just wasn’t interesting me. New adult is my favourite genre to reach for when no other books are keeping my attention. They’re fast paced and addictive and Ugly Love was no exception. While the main element of the story is a romance there was enough grit and mystery to make me want to keep reading and I finished it within days. Out of the handful of similar books I have read this is quite possibly my favourite, the characters were likeable and realistic and I really enjoyed the writing style of Colleen Hoover.

3.5/5

The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Mitch Albom

I didn’t expect to love this book as much as I did. The story is quite self-explanatory, we follow Eddie, an 83 year old man who is killed in the first chapter and arrives in heaven to meet five people. Each person has been affected by some part of Eddie’s life and has something to teach him. It was the writing of this book that made me love it so much, it’s only a short 208 pages but its crafted in a way that there are moments where you have to stop reading and actually think about what is written on the page. It’s fair to think that a book with ‘heaven’ in the title might stray in to the realm of preachy or pretentious but it really isn’t, Mitch Albom presents his message and it’s up to you to interpret. This book is also home to one my favourite book quotes…

“No life is a waste” the Blue Man said. “The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking that we are alone”

5/5

The dedication from The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Brooklyn
Colm Toibin

Brooklyn was a complete impulse purchase; I only picked it up in Waterstones after seeing the film trailer. Brooklyn is the story of Eilis who moves to New York because she is unable to find work in Ireland. After being on my shelf for months I picked up Brooklyn wanting something romantic and slightly fluffy but the seemingly simple story ended up being an interesting fish-out-of-water story that talks about what home means and first love and growing up. When I had finished reading the book I couldn’t wait to watch the film. It was a really faithful adaptation and I loved Saoirse Ronan as Eilis, perfect casting.


4.5/5

If you want to see what else I'm reading you can follow me on Good Reads here.



No comments:

Post a Comment