Pages

Sunday 6 September 2015

THIS PAST WEEK #10 FRIENDS, FILMS & FOOD


Sundays are for lying on the sofa, eating bad food and watching Disney movies, right? That’s exactly what I’ve spent my day doing. I am rejoicing in a lazy Sunday. Writing this in my Game of Thrones pyjama t-shirt under a blanket is as productive as today is going to get. This week has been one of those that has flown by and felt very busy but at the same time uneventful. The week has gone so fast that before I knew it, it was Sunday and I hadn’t blogged all week. I have so many blog post ideas in my head so keep your eyes peeled for new posts next week.

With my parents on holiday I have spent most evenings watching movies with tea and many chocolate digestives. Are you ready for some mini-reviews? On Tuesday I watched ‘Kingsman: The Secret Service’, oh man I loved this film so much. It’s as stylish as Bond but still feels original and at times is very funny. You should know going in to a film that boasts the likes of Colin Firth, Mark Strong and Samuel L Jackson in its cast that it’s going to be a good one. Kingsman also taught me that I’m a fan of British director Matthew Vaughn, a quick scroll through his filmography and I realised that every film he has directed I have loved.  

For a bit of change in tone, on Wednesday I watched ‘Far From the Madding Crowd’, based on the Thomas Hardy novel and starring Carey Mulligan. I’m on the fence about what I actually thought about this one. Like many films that are based on novels, the pacing of Far From the Madding Crowd felt off. While the film has a run time of over two hours, I often felt like the plot wasn’t developed enough and moved too quickly to really enjoy.  Finally on Thursday I watched ‘Testament of Youth’, a true story based on the memoir of Vera Brittain. The film is very emotional and it was a bad idea for me to watch on my own as I cried for the third time in two hours. The story is very moving and is told simply but so beautifully. Alicia Vikander is also excellent in the leading role. 

The inevitable loneliness finally set in on Friday so my friend Rebecca came and kept me company and I made dinner for both of us. I made a simple leak and potato soup from a BBC Good Food recipe that you can feast your eyes on here. Something I really like doing is cooking for my friends; it’s become a bit a tradition that when my parents are on holiday I will invite my best friends around and I will cook something. I’m not an amazing cook and rarely make anything particularly technical but over the past two years I’ve become quite confident in the kitchen. This is the girl who two years ago couldn’t poach an egg in an egg poacher pan and now I can actually enjoy cooking. 

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment