Pages

Tuesday 14 July 2015

RECENT READS #1


Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

The story is so much more than the title suggests. In the book we are with Anna as she is sent to France to complete high school at a Paris boarding school. The story follows Anna as she steps out of her comfort zone, falls in love in with a new city and meets the dreamy ‘Etienne St. Clair’. I thoroughly enjoyed Anna and The French Kiss. It is the perfect happiness inducing summer read, look past the slightly cringey titles and you won’t regret it.

While I'm not running straight for another Perkins’ novel right now (my piled high bookshelf would object to that) I definitely plan on reaching for the rest of the trilogy next time I’m in need of some good old YA romance.

8/10

Yes Please - Amy Poehler

After reading Lena Dunham’s ‘Not That Kind Of Girl’ earlier this year (and loving it) I’ve wanted to pick up another memoir from another fabulous funny woman. Yes Please is hilarious, honest and so entertaining. I loved how open and frank Amy was about her life experiences, many celeb filled anecdotes were also a real treat. I’m almost at the end of a Parks and Recreation marathon so the chapters about Parks were emotional ones. It has quickly become my favourite show. 

One of the reasons I love books like Yes Please and Not That Kind of Girl is because you can keep them on your bookshelf and dip in and out of the chapters to relive the quotable words of such great women. I can’t wait to pick up Mindy Kaling’s ‘Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?’ very soon.

9.5/10

The Wrath and the Dawn - Renee Ahdieh

This is my favourite book that I’ve read in a while. Inspired by ‘A Thousand and One Nights’ the story is set in a kingdom where every day the young Caliph chooses a new bride and by dawn the next day she has been killed. Our protagonist ‘Shahrzad’ volunteers to marry the king with the intent of killing him. The plot is fast paced and honestly I got obsessed with the story, finishing it in only a few days.  The Middle Eastern setting is described beautifully and as it is told in the third person we hear from multiple perspectives – a feature I really enjoy in books.

As a general rule I tend to prefer standalone books. Probably from past years of reading YA dystopian series’ to be let down as the story was dragged out over unnecessary sequels.  However when I found out that this novel was the first in a series, I was so relieved and I can’t wait for the release of the sequel.

As an added bonus the hardback cover is absolutely gorgeous.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment